Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Community, & How YOU Can Engage It!!!

I have been doing a lot of thinking about community. What it is, what it looks like, who's in it, and trying to figure out the purpose of "Community." While it is true that I may not have a defenition of community, or have community figured out; I do know what community has become for me. While it is true that community could be, and generally is associated by many people as a place where many people gather, or a group of people who share in the same things (movies, sports, books, etc.). While I am not trying to tell you what community is, I AM trying to tell you my community!!!

My community consists in a few different places.
1) My school. I am a student at Multnomah University in Portland, OR and I am part of several communities there. I am part of the community as a whole. The whole school is a community. I am also a part of my dorm section community. Where 13 guys get to share, live and breathe together. I am also a part of a community with my roommate, and my next door neighbors. These communities all have a special place in my heart.

2) My Church. I am the Student Ministries Director at Lifegate (http://www.lifegatebaptist.net/). Part of my community there is with the teens. I love hanging out, getting to know them, and to be ready to speak into their lives when the opportunity presents itself. Another community there is with those on the worship team. I play drums on the worship team as well.

3) My family. My family is very close and dear to me. I can say that if you mess with one member of my family, you better be ready to mess with the rest of us! (joking) but seriously we are that close!!! We play games, go camping, talk, do birthdays, holidays, and basically make up excuses to see each other. We just love each other.

I encourage you to think of your top 3 communities, and to figure out what they mean to you! I have really enjoyed doing this.

NOW...... HOW YOU CAN ENGAGE MY COMMUNITIES!!!!!

My School, is just that. It is a Christian college, and it is a great school. If you'r looking for a school or seminary to attend, check them out (http://www.multnomah.edu/).

My Church, is a small, local church in SE Portland. If you would like to see what my church community is like, we would love to have you check in some time. Check out the web-site and see what we are all about (http://www.lifegatebaptist.net/)

My Family, Well, I guess you really can't join my family. BUT.... It would be awsome to start a blogging community, here at derekddix.blogspot.com. If you would like to be a part of this community, comment on this post, and "follow" my blog.


I really believe that community is super important. I also believe that if you don't take the opportunities you have to be a part of a community, you will find that you missed out on so much.

Hope to have you ENGAGE in one of my communities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment