Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Love, Sex, & Happily Ever After

Love, Se, and Happily Ever After

I have read parts of The Christian Atheist, and this was my first introduction to Craig Groeschel. So when I saw the opportunity to review Love, Sex, and Happily Ever After, I jumped right on it. I didn’t immediately dive in, but after a few false starts, I found it worthwhile, and it wasn’t until I finished that I figured out why I struggled with it.

The wildly successful founder of LifeChurch.tv and author of six books, writes about himself and his various false starts in love before using his own relationship of finding love with his now wife as an example of the principles he’s espousing. The chapters progress from figuring yourself out, to figuring out what you’re looking for/God has in mind for you, and then moves into different aspects of relationships.

Some of these are aimed at the “pitfalls” of marriage. Whether it’s being sexually active or living together, or just filling the need to be liked/loved with someone, Groeschel is pretty dead on every time. Having worked with teens, most of whom either were/are with someone or trying to get with someone, this series of struggles pretty well covers the gauntlet of things that occur within relationships. Groeschel’s advice isn’t Joshua Harris(author of Dug Down Deep), but he’s definitely calling for single/non-married folks to dial back their activities and protect their hearts, citing plenty of advice straight from Scripture.

By the time I made it into the final third, where Groeschel takes on issues for people who have “gone too far” and are trying to restart, and expectations that unmarried people have about marriage, I realized that I hadn’t instantly appreciated the book because I have made many mistakes in my life. But rather than reading the rest of the book for me, I realized that most of what Groeschel says is what I’ve said plenty of times to teens, parents, and young adults when they’ve asked me for God-oriented advice on dating and marriage. It’s scripturally sound, engaging given his transparency, and solid advice for those who want to pursue marriage and make sure that God is at the center.

While I am engaged to be married, I really found this book to be a good tool, and a good read. 

I received this book for free from the blogging for books at waterbrookmultnomah.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment