Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Understanding "integrity leadership"

Is it possible to live a life of integrity without doing things you don't want to do?

I find it very frustrating when I am around leaders who don't lead with integrity. I'm not just talking about at church, but at school, or work, or non- profit organizations, or sports teams, or (probably the more common one) family. It doesn't seem to matter where I am, but it seems like there is always some sort of leader who doesn't lead with integrity.

Well, what does the word integrity really mean? Some might say that it is totally impossible to lead with integrity, while others say that it's uncommon to find leaders who lead with integrity.

I can't help but come up with a simple opinion. This is my own personal opinion, but don't you come to me and tell me that I'm wrong. You can state your view, but don't just come out and say YOUR AN IDIOT DEREK!!

I feel that integrity is somthing that simply comes from inside of you. You have the choice as to what you are going to do with your every moment. But the fact is, integrity isn't somthing that we have to "create" rather it's somthing that we have to choose to tap into. The reason we don't have leaders who lead with integrity, is because It's hard to lead with integrity!!!!!! You have to make that choice each and every day to lead with integrity.

So my solution: the reason our leaders don't lead with integrity is 2 fold:

1) for SOME!(not all , but some) have never seen integrity leadership played out.
2) we just have a bunch of lazy leaders! Our leaders don't use integrity because it requires them to make a choice to do the right thing! The right thing isn't the easy road! It usually is the more difficult road.

I have never met a wealthy man who said "I could pay somone to take care of my yard, but I'm going to do all of the work myself to save money!"
THIS DOESN"T HAPPEN!!!! The wealthy man would rather pay somone to care for his yard so that he coud do somthing else (like watch the football game, or drive his fancy car around). This is an issue that is all over our lives. We would rather take the easier road (because we can) then to do the better choice because it's the right thing to do.

I'm sorry, I feel that there is NO EXCUSE for us to have leaders who don't lead with integrity! (OR ARE LAZY!!!!)

So lets go out there and be leaders of integrity, not leaders of "easy"

No comments:

Post a Comment