Wednesday, October 12, 2011

OUR LAST GREAT HOPE: AWAKENING THE GREAT COMISSION




I just completed reading this book.  The basic premise of the book is this:  pay more attention to the Great Commission.  Whether it be through an awakening of your own personal purpose, the purpose of the church, parenting etc.... Floyd mixed in a good bit of personal stories to illustrate each of the points made throughout the book.  Floyd then goes on to challenge the reader to accept the urgency of the Great Commission.  He gives a few ways how we all can be apart of helping fulfill the Great Commission whether it be through our own communities, our daily lives or even our own financial decisions.  In each chapter he attempts to add some nice catchy and cute sayings and lists to help the reader remember and put into practice telling others about Jesus.  He did a fairly good job of going between "church planting",  "local missions" and "global missions."  He presented some decent stats given to him by his friends at NAMB and the IMB.  He wraps up his book by challenging us to examine or to think about the return of Jesus whenever we gather, pray, the Spirit comes and when we speak boldly (drawing from the apostles in the book of Acts).   And finally he envisions a huge "flash mob", and we all are in it... hmmm...
I found the book quite simple.  I couldn't help but think Ronnie was kind of jumping on the fade that David Platt's Book 'RADICAL' sparked in Evangelical Christianity in the past year. It seemed at times Ronnie was "tooting his horn" a bit while mentioning one of his other books, and using his church as and example for many of his points.    I found it the book quite simple, not much challenging things.... there wasn't much deep theology.  I would recommend anybody thinking about reading his book to just skip it and read RADICAL instead. 


I must admit however, that I would give this book a second shot. While I'm not super fond of it in my first read, I will at least give Floyd one last chance. 


I received this book for free from Booksneeze.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment